As Hurricane Sandy bears down on the East Coast, we want to remind you that it's not too late to make some last minute preparations for your pets. Here are some top tips from the Humane Society:
Photo courtesy of Casey Lomonaco
- Bring pets indoors and provide them with a safe and comfortable
- Make sure all pets are wearing identification collars
- Store at least three days worth of extra food and water for your pets
- Keep pets' medication, first aid supplies, leash, and carrier on-hand
- Create a list of hotels or shelters that allow pets, especially if you live in an area prone to evacuation or if your home typically loses power
High winds and other severe weather can be stressful for pets, so it's important to provide your pet with a comfortable quiet area and to comfort your pet with kind words and lots of pats. A Thundershirt can help ease pets' anxiety and stress.